Contact: Joe Martin
NON-GENERAL ACUTE CARE HOSPITALS REPORT MIXED MARGINS
Harrisburg, PA – November 15, 2016 – Statewide average total margins experienced by non-general acute care hospitals (non-GAC) during fiscal year 2015 (FY15) ranged from 5.87% at psychiatric hospitals to 11.68% at rehabilitation hospitals, according to a report released today by the Pennsylvania Health Care Cost Containment Council (PHC4).
âPennsylvaniaâs non-general acute care hospitals play a vital role in the commonwealthâs health care system and it is important both to health care and the stateâs economy that they remain viable,â said Joe Martin, PHC4âs executive director. âWhile the various categories of hospitals in this report showed mixed financial results in 2015 compared to the previous year, their overall profile indicates that they are generally stable.â
Psychiatric hospitals operating margins decreased from 9.81% in FY14 to 8.81% in FY15, while long-term acute care hospitals operating margins increased from 5.24% to 8.04%. Specialty hospitals operating margin decreased from 10.01% in FY14 to 7.78% in FY15, while rehabilitation hospitals operating margin increased slightly from 12.70% in FY14 to 12.87% in FY15.
- Non-GAC hospitals treated 6.01% of the patients that received inpatient care during FY15. GAC hospitals covered 93.99% of the patients that received inpatient care.
- Non-GAC hospitals provided services for 5.63% of the statewide outpatient visits during FY15. The remaining 94.37% of statewide hospital outpatient visits were treated at GAC hospitals.
- The average revenue per discharge during FY15 ranged from $6,503 at specialty hospitals to $44,130 at long-term acute care hospitals.
- The average outpatient revenue per visit during FY15 ranged from $104 at rehabilitation hospitals to $465 at GAC hospitals.
- Statewide, inpatient revenue per discharge increased from $13,089 in FY14 to $13,752 in FY15 and outpatient revenue per visit increased from $433 in FY14 to $447 in FY15.
This is the third volume of a three-volume series of Financial Analysis 2015 reports. Volume One, which was released in May 2016, focused on the financial health of Pennsylvaniaâs general acute care (GAC) hospitals. Volume Two, released in October 2016, concentrated on Pennsylvaniaâs ambulatory surgery centers (ASCs). Volume Three focuses on Pennsylvaniaâs non-GAC hospitals, which include rehabilitation hospitals, psychiatric hospitals, long-term acute care and specialty hospitals.
PHC4 is an independent state agency charged with collecting, analyzing and reporting information that can be used to improve the quality and restrain the cost of health care in Pennsylvania. Copies of Financial Analysis 2015, Volumes One, Two and Three, are available from PHC4âs website at www.phc4.org.