Purchase Customized Data
PHC4 offers custom and standard data files to help you collect and analyze the data you need.
PHC4 collects approximately 5.2 million inpatient and ambulatory/outpatient records combined each year from hospitals and freestanding ambulatory surgery centers in Pennsylvania. This data, which includes facility charges and treatment information, is collected on a quarterly basis. Each piece of data is subjected to standard validation processes and verified for accuracy by the hospital or facility that reports it.
We share this data with the public not only through public reports and interactive databases on our website, but through special data request purchases.
For a fee, businesses, organizations, or individuals can request standard “ready-to-use” data from PHC4 or custom data that is generated based on the specific needs of the populations you’re working with. We can also link our data to other data sources, such as the Pennsylvania vital statistics data from the Pennsylvania Department of Health, to provide even greater value to you.
How to Submit a Data Request
It’s easy to request the data you need from PHC4. The steps below will walk you through the process of submitting a data request.
- Review the available data, data descriptions, time periods, and file layouts under Available Data. You can find data fees under Data Price Structure.
- Determine the nature of your request:
- Inpatient and/or ambulatory/outpatient procedure and/or financial data
- Standard or custom data
- Dataset (record-level) or report (aggregated groupings)
- Time period
- Determine your client classification. We have several client classifications for the purpose of purchasing data:
- Commercial – any corporation, coalition, association, organization, or individual that requests to resell or redistribute any of PHC4’s data or the resultant analysis from the data for a profit. This can include using the data in software products or in analysis for profitable consultation with clients. Examples of commercial clients include software vendors and health care and business consultants.
- Non-Commercial – any corporation, coalition, association, organization, or individual that requests data to use internally for their own purposes and analysis. This can include, but is not limited to, hospitals and other health care providers, purchasers, insurers, and consumers.
- Researcher – any university-based researcher who requests PHC4 data for the benefit of the health care system.
- Government – any Pennsylvania state agency that requests data to use for government-related purposes.
- Government Multi-use – any government agency, other than a Commonwealth of Pennsylvania state agency, that requests data for multiple research-related purposes, including limited and restricted redistribution, reselling of data samples, or in aggregate.
- Press – any news industry of the mass media that focus on delivering news to the general public through print media (newspapers, newsmagazines), broadcast news (radio and television), and the internet (online newspapers); all entities regulated by the Federal Communications Commission will be considered, determination of eligibility is subject to review.
- Download and complete the applicable PHC4 Data Requests Application:
- Return the completed application by email or mail.
Email: [email protected]
Address: Pennsylvania Health Care Cost Containment Council
225 Market Street, Suite 400
Harrisburg, PA 17101
- PHC4 staff will review the request to determine if the data file can be prepared according to your specifications. If necessary, PHC4 will contact you and attempt to satisfy your request based on the availability of the data. Your request must then be approved by the Executive Director, and in some cases, the council.
- A PHC4 analyst will produce the data file once it has been approved.
- A cost quote will be provided to you and followed up with an invoice. Please wait until the invoice is received before sending payment.
- Completed data requests files will be shipped to you after PHC4 receives full payment.
Available Data and Pricing
Review the information we collect and determine what type of data is most relevant for you.
Data Pricing Structure
See our pricing structure for both standard and custom data fees.
Looking for more information about using or accessing our data? We’ve provided answers to some of our most frequently asked questions.
PHC4 collects inpatient discharge records from Pennsylvania hospitals and ambulatory/outpatient procedure records from Pennsylvania hospitals and freestanding surgery centers. The ambulatory/outpatient procedure data consists of select procedures such as surgeries, endoscopies, chemotherapies, and certain cardiovascular procedures. Data is collected on a quarterly basis. We also collect financial data supplied by each hospital and ambulatory surgery center on an annual basis.
We collect inpatient data from general acute care, psychiatric, rehabilitation, and long-term acute care hospitals in Pennsylvania. Ambulatory/outpatient procedure data is collected from freestanding Pennsylvania ambulatory surgery centers and hospital-based surgical units.
Yes, the data is subjected to standard validation and editing processes by PHC4. Facilities are given the opportunity to correct their data as needed. The accuracy of the data is reliant on the response of the data sources. You can learn more about our methodology for validating data here.
Hospitals and health systems request data for internal quality assurance activity, planning, product development, price setting, and market share analysis. Researchers have used our data to study topics like trauma system structure and performance, community health assessment, injury incidence, and even litigation in civil cases. Government requesters include the Pennsylvania Department of Health, Pennsylvania Department of Welfare, the Pennsylvania Attorney General’s Office, and individual members of the Pennsylvania General Assembly. Government projects use PHC4 data for community health assessment studies, public policy, and intervention and prevention programs.
There are over 70 data fields available. Some examples include treatment information such as Diagnosis Related Groups (DRG’s) and Major Diagnostic Categories (MDC’s) in our inpatient discharge database, as well as admission source and type, diagnosis and procedure codes, and discharge status. Length of stay, hospital charges, and patient origin information are also available. Learn more about our available data here.
A standard data request allows you to select one of PHC4’s pre-programmed standard datasets. These standard files have a set price and do not require customized programming.
A custom data request allows you to request a subset of data from the standard databases based on your specifications. For example, you could request data for all diabetes-related hospitalizations in a particular Pennsylvania county or a report of the number of gall bladder surgeries in a specific region. These types of requests must be created and customized by PHC4 statisticians.
Datasets are patient-level records in a file. Datasets are a good option for researchers and organizations who plan to conduct their own analysis using the data. Data reports are aggregated summations of the patient-level records.
Explore our case studies to see how doctors, researchers, administrators, government agencies, and more are using our data to make changes in patient care.