Skip to content

Contact: Joe Martin
717-232-6787 or


Harrisburg, PA – October 26, 2016 – The latest financial figures reported by PA’s Ambulatory Surgery Centers (ASCs) dipped slightly with the average total margin among ASCs decreasing slightly to 25.40% (from 25.65%) over the previous year. The average operating margin decreased to 25.12% (from 25.46%).

“New figures released today show that operating and total margins for Pennsylvania’s ambulatory surgery centers’ have remained constant over the past 8 years with only slight variations,” said Joe Martin, Executive Director of PHC4. “The number of ambulatory surgery centers decreased slightly in fiscal year 2015 from 288 to 286, after years of sharp increases.”

During FY15 the number of ASCs in the state decreased by a net of two to 286. Five ASCs opened in FY15 and seven ASCs closed.

ASCs reported 1.108 million outpatient visits in FY15 which is a 6.4% increase from the 1.042 million outpatient visits in FY14.

The net outpatient ASC revenue increased 4.3% from $1.198 billion in FY14 to $1.250 billion in FY15.

The total number of outpatient procedures performed during FY15 at ASCs represented 27.9% of the total outpatient procedures in Pennsylvania, the remaining 72.1% were performed at general acute care hospitals.

ASCs performed 949,284 outpatient procedures in FY15 which is a 2.2% increase from the 929,192 performed in the prior year.

PHC4’s report on ambulatory surgery centers is the second in its three-part Financial Analysis series. Volume One, released in May, reported on the financial health of general acute care hospitals. Volume Three, to be released later this year, will focus on non-general acute care hospitals (rehabilitation, psychiatric, long-term acute care and specialty hospitals).

The Pennsylvania Health Care Cost Containment Council is an independent state agency charged with collecting, analyzing and reporting information that can be used to improve the quality and restrain the cost of health care in Pennsylvania.

225 Market Street, Suite 400
Harrisburg, PA 17101

Phone: (717) 232-6787
Fax: (717) 232-3821