Skip to content

Contact: Joe Martin
717-232-6787 or


Harrisburg, PA – October 11, 2018 – New figures released today by the Pennsylvania Healthcare Cost Containment Council (PHC4) show that total margin for Pennsylvania’s ambulatory surgery centers (ASCs) for fiscal year 2017 (FY17) have slightly decreased 0.31 percentage points from the prior year and the average operating margin decreased 0.20 percentage points. Overall the number of ASCs operating in Pennsylvania grew by 1.0%. The Financial Analysis 2017 Volume Two report presents financial information on Pennsylvania’s ambulatory surgery centers.

“The information in the report reveals that the total number of ASCs operating in Pennsylvania increased to 289 facilities and the statewide average operating and total margins have only decreased slightly over the past year.” said Joe Martin, executive director of PHC4.

  • Pennsylvania’s ASCs reported 1.1 million total outpatient visits during FY17 and $1.3 billion total net outpatient revenue.
  • During FY17, the average outpatient revenue per visit was $1,230 for the ASCs.
  • The net outpatient revenue for ASCs increased 3.3% from $1.30 billion in FY16 to $1.34 billion in FY17.
  • ASCs performed 985,104 outpatient procedures in FY17 which is a 1.0% increase from the 974,873 performed in the prior year.
  • The total number of outpatient surgical procedures performed during FY17 at ASCs represented 25.9% of the total outpatient surgical procedures in Pennsylvania; the remaining 74.1% were performed at general acute care hospitals outpatient departments.

PHC4’s report on ambulatory surgery centers is the second in its three-part Financial Analysis series. Volume One, released in April 2018, reported on the financial health of general acute care hospitals. Volume Three, to be released later this year, will focus on non-general acute care hospitals (rehabilitation, psychiatric, long-term acute care and specialty hospitals).

The Pennsylvania Health Care Cost Containment Council is an independent state agency charged with collecting, analyzing and reporting information that can be used to improve the quality and restrain the cost of health care in Pennsylvania.

225 Market Street, Suite 400
Harrisburg, PA 17101

Phone: (717) 232-6787
Fax: (717) 232-3821