Skip to content

Contact: Joe Martin
717-232-6787 or


Harrisburg, PA – October 16, 2019 – New figures released today by the Pennsylvania Healthcare Cost Containment Council (PHC4) show that the average total margin for Ambulatory Surgery Centers (ASCs) decreased 1.03 percentage points, from 25.11% in fiscal year (FY) 2017 to 24.08% in FY18. Statewide the average operating margin for ASCs decreased 1.0 percentage points, from 25.06% in FY17 to 24.06% in FY18. The Financial Analysis 2018 Volume Two report presents financial information on Pennsylvania’s ASCs.

“The information in the report reveals that the margins are consistent with recent years, while the growth in the number of facilities has slowed”, said Joe Martin, executive director of PHC4.

  • Pennsylvania’s ASCs reported 1.1 million total outpatient visits during FY18 and $1.4 billion total net outpatient revenue.
  • During FY18, the average outpatient revenue per visit was $1,241 for the ASCs.
  • The net outpatient revenue for ASCs increased 1.0% from $1.34 billion in FY17 to $1.36 billion in FY18.
  • ASCs performed 997,917 outpatient procedures in FY18 which is a 1.3% increase from the 985,104 performed in the prior year.
  • The total number of outpatient surgical procedures performed during FY18 at ASCs represented 25.7% of the total outpatient surgical procedures in Pennsylvania; the remaining 74.3% were performed at general acute care hospitals outpatient departments.

PHC4’s report on ambulatory surgery centers is the second in its three-part Financial Analysis series. Volume One, released in May 2019, reported on the financial health of general acute care hospitals. Volume Three, to be released later this year, will focus on non-general acute care hospitals (rehabilitation, psychiatric, long-term acute care and specialty hospitals).

The Pennsylvania Health Care Cost Containment Council is an independent state agency charged with collecting, analyzing and reporting information that can be used to improve the quality and restrain the cost of health care in Pennsylvania.

225 Market Street, Suite 400
Harrisburg, PA 17101

Phone: (717) 232-6787
Fax: (717) 232-3821