Skip to content

Contact: Joe Martin
717-232-6787 or


Harrisburg, PA – October 21, 2020 – New figures released today by the Pennsylvania Healthcare Cost Containment Council (PHC4) show that the average total margin for Ambulatory Surgery Centers (ASCs) decreased 0.07 percentage points, from 25.11% in fiscal year (FY) 2018 to 25.05% in FY19. Statewide the average operating margin for ASCs increased 0.08 percentage points, from 25.06% in FY18 to 25.14% in FY19. The Financial Analysis 2019 Volume Two report presents financial information on Pennsylvania’s ASCs.

“It is important to note that the information included in this report is prior to the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic.” “The report reveals that the margins varied only slightly from the previous year while the growth in the number of facilities has remained consistent”, said Joe Martin, executive director of PHC4.

Report highlights:

  • Pennsylvania’s ASCs reported 1.1 million total outpatient visits during FY19 and $1.4 billion total net outpatient revenue.
  • During FY19, the average outpatient revenue per visit was $1,249 for the ASCs.
  • The net outpatient revenue for ASCs increased 4.3% from $1.36 billion in FY18 to $1.41 billion in FY19.
  • ASCs performed 1,008,755 outpatient procedures in FY19 which is a 1.1% increase from the 997,917 performed in the prior year.
  • The total number of outpatient surgical procedures performed during FY19 at ASCs represented 26.4% of the total outpatient surgical procedures in Pennsylvania; the remaining 73.6% were performed at general acute care hospitals outpatient departments.

PHC4’s report on ambulatory surgery centers is the second in its three-part Financial Analysis series. Volume One, released in April 2020, reported on the financial health of general acute care hospitals. Volume Three, to be released later this year, will focus on non-general acute care hospitals (rehabilitation, psychiatric, long-term acute care and specialty hospitals).

PHC4 is an independent state agency charged with collecting, analyzing and reporting information about the cost and quality of health care in Pennsylvania. Copies of Financial Analysis 2019, Volumes One and Two are free and available from PHC4’s website at

225 Market Street, Suite 400
Harrisburg, PA 17101

Phone: (717) 232-6787
Fax: (717) 232-3821