News for Immediate Release
September 28, 2023
PHC4’S AMBULATORY SURGERY CENTER FINANCE REPORT SHOWS A 7.6% INCREASE IN NET OUTPATIENT REVENUES IN PENNSYLVANIA
Harrisburg – The Pennsylvania Health Care Cost Containment Council (PHC4) has released its annual report on the financial health of Ambulatory Surgery Centers (ASCs) in the Commonwealth. The Financial Analysis 2022 Volume Two, Ambulatory Surgery Centers is the second in a three-part series of financial reports PHC4 publishes annually. Amongst its reporting, PHC4 found the net outpatient revenue for ASCs increased 7.6% from $1.53 billion in Fiscal Year 2021 (FY21) to $1.65 billion in Fiscal Year 2022 (FY22).
“The publication of these findings, alongside the series of financial reporting we produce annually at PHC4 furthers our mission of supporting informed decision making,” said Barry D. Buckingham, Executive Director at PHC4. “We hope these findings provide beneficial insights into Pennsylvania health care and ASCs for all of our stakeholders.”
- Pennsylvania’s ASCs reported 1.15 million total outpatient visits during FY22 and $1.65 billion total net outpatient revenue.
- During FY22, the average outpatient revenue per visit was $1,441 for the ASCs.
- The net outpatient revenue for ASCs increased 7.6% from $1.53 billion in FY21 to $1.65 billion in FY22.
- ASCs performed 1.05 million outpatient procedures in FY22, which is a 4.5% increase from the 1.01 million performed in the prior year.
- The total number of outpatient surgical procedures performed during FY22 at ASCs represented 23.6% of the total outpatient surgical procedures in Pennsylvania; the remaining 76.4% were performed at general acute care hospitals’ outpatient departments.
The Financial Analysis 2022 Volume Two, Ambulatory Surgery Centers is the second in a three-part series of reports PHC4 publishes annually. The first, released in June 2023, focused on General Acute Care (GAC) hospitals. The third will be released later this year and focuses on non-GAC hospitals (rehabilitation, psychiatric, long-term acute care, and specialty hospitals).
PHC4 is an independent state agency formed under Pennsylvania statute (Act 89 of 1986, as amended by Act 15 of 2020) in order to address rapidly growing health care costs. The Council continues to produce comparative information about the most efficient and effective health care to individual consumers and group purchasers of health services. In addition, PHC4 produces information used to identify opportunities to contain costs and improve the quality of care delivered.
For more information, visit phc4.org.
Media contact: Heather Nairn, Deputy Executive Director, PHC4 724-747-8250 l [email protected]